Thursday, November 10, 2016

November Gratitude Challenge | Day 10



For a long time I couldn't get behind the gratitude practice. I didn't understand how to be grateful when my world felt upside down and inside out. I knew I should be grateful but actually practicing it was hard when my sights were set on all the negative things I was or had experienced. How could I be grateful when my life felt hard.
 
When I finally leaned into my discomfort and began to face my feelings and thoughts around those feelings, I realized that I had been holding myself back from experiencing joy. I wasn't enjoying my children, my husband, my hobbies, my passions, my food, my life. Once I accepted a few things, took hold of the current stage of my life, I realized that I had done so much and that I was missing out on what was in front of me because I was too busy looking back. In learning to be present I learned to be grateful.


Gratitude is not something you can experience unless you understand that gratitude lives in the present, the present moment of our daily lives, routines, and its idiosyncrasies. I'm grateful for this lesson, and even more grateful to finally participate in a gratitude challenge to help me continue to stay present in my life as it is now.

~words and image by Katiusca Gutman


--------------------------
We are celebrating the month of November by looking for gratitude. Each weekday, we are posting an image and text from our community. If you'd like to join us, there's still plenty of time! You can sign up on the blog or by using the link in our Instagram profile. We'd love to have you!