Tuesday, February 7, 2017


Hello there, friend,

It's funny to me to think about college. In some ways, it feels like it just happened. Then I think about everything that's made up my life for the fifteen years and gasp at how long ago it was. Those college years were so rich and so full. I thought I had it all figured out, but I was so blissfully unaware. I had always scoffed at people who said college was the best of their lives, but now I get it. I don't think they were the best years, but they were sweeter than I knew.

I think there's a certain arrogance to thinking that the best is always ahead of us, and when I was in college I subscribed to it. I was present, but not deeply connected. I held loosely to my friendships. I left school with my eyes on the next thing, which led to the next thing after that. I just kept assuming life would get better and better. In some ways it has, and in some ways it hasn't. Life just keeps getting more complex

A few weekends ago, I met up with a few college friends to go to a winery for the day. We haven't done a great job of keeping up over the years, but we're determined to remedy that. All four of us live within an hour of each other -- there's no reason not to see each other regularly. What I didn't realize was that seeing them every few months would be so good, that it would reconnect me to part of myself I let go of years ago. I didn't know I'd need these women so much, but I'm grateful to have them back.

xo,
L