Monday, December 19, 2016


Hello there, friend,

This morning, I tiptoed out of bed and went downstairs to turn on the twinkle lights. It was early and I didn't want to wake anyone. Sometimes, when it's still quiet in the house, I like to sit alone in the glow from the Christmas lights and just rest. There's something so comforting about them -- a bit of magic, a little shimmer. In the early dark, it's often just how I like to start my day.

Last week, I read some advice about beginning the day creating instead of consuming. The advice said to not look at your phone, don't go on the internet -- just get to creating something, anything, for fifteen minutes to start the day. Since I read that, I've been trying it. I don't do anything until I've written for fifteen minutes, usually in my journal but sometimes to you. It's a good way to start the day, before anyone else has a chance to interfere, before all the liking and clicking and comparison.

More and more, I need this. I like days that begin slowly, that allow me to get my heart and head in order before all of the day's responsibilities start to trickle in. If I can have those fifteen minutes and a cup of strong coffee, chances are good it's going to be a good day.

xo,
L