Tuesday, October 11, 2016


Hello there, friend,

Each Tuesday morning I wake with great excitement. It's pottery day, my own sacred time that no one gets to steal away or interrupt. There's something to be said for that. We talk about self care and down time, but this is different. My pottery class is mine alone. And I'm loving it more than I expected.

You're right about the hope of a new week and a new day. The sun comes up again, the world keeps spinning. We have another chance to make mistakes or not. I'm trying to be lighter about that, allowing for mistakes without beating myself up, taking gratitude in what comes.

Maybe it's overly metaphorical, but throwing pots on the wheel has me literally turning this idea over in my hands. The wheel keeps spinning, sometimes balanced and others off center. Then I try to make something. There are times when all I make is mistakes. I get frustrated not knowing how to fix it. What I made crumples into a shapeless lump. But I go on, wedge more clay, and start again. Sometimes we win; sometimes we lose. So much easier in the clay studio, but each week I'm carrying that attitude out the door with me.

xo,
L