Wednesday, February 15, 2017


Hello there, friend,

When my daughter was a baby, I used to take Sundays off of technology too. I had a smartphone then, but my husband didn't. It was easy enough to put it away for the day, so we could focus on family and Sabbath. That, of course, has become more complicated as the years have passed, but I still often find myself leaving my phone somewhere out of reach on purpose to give myself some mental space. I also feel burdened to demonstrate to my children, who are still very young, that life is about more than what technology can offer us. Some days that's harder than others.

I think it's wonderful that your family is taking a technology Sabbath together. I'm also glad to hear that it's drawing you all together. How much richer life is when we get back to basics. I'm realizing more and more the value of working with my hands and body, how rewarding it is. It pulls me out of myself and into the world around me, and I'm enjoying that so much. Just this morning, I spent a half hour shoveling, watching the snow swirl around me, feeling my arms and back move the shovel. I came inside, cheeks rosy and back sweaty, feeling like I had accomplished something important. Rarely do I feel that after sitting with any sort of technology and rarely do I feel it even when I am getting somewhere with my writing. I'm with you on stepping back from it all and zeroing in on what's life giving. I want more of that.

xo,
L