Monday, February 27, 2017


Hello there, friend,

Since I started making Sabbath part of my weekly life, Mondays have become hard. After resting all day Sunday, Monday can feel jarring. I'm usually ready to hit the ground running, but I often feel behind. I've figured out that spending Monday morning working and trying to get on track for the week is the best thing, but I still feel panicked sometimes. Today, in particular, I have more work to do than I'll have time for.

I do enjoy my Sabbath though. I like taking a break and giving myself a chance to take a step back and rest. A friend told me that if you work with your head, your Sabbath should be spent doing something with your hands (and vice versa). I've been thinking more about that, and trying to figure out what to do with my hands. Sew? Bake bread? Garden?

I've also been thinking about Lent, which begins on Wednesday. Every year, it feels like it sneaks up on me (I guess I'm not very good at following the liturgical calendar) and I wrestle with what to go give up. Last year, I stopped looking at my phone first thing in the morning, waiting until I had a cup of coffee in my hands until I allowed myself to check anything. This year, I'm not sure yet, but I have a few ideas. So much of life feels like giving up and adding on and trying to balance the two, but I know Lent is deeper and I'm hungry for something that will deepen my faith.

xo,
L