Monday, February 13, 2017


Hello there, friend,

I made myself a cup of tea and sat down to write to you. It's Monday, and I'm ready for a fresh start. Since we flipped the calendar to February, life has felt heavy. I haven't slept well and that only complicates things. My emotions slide further out of control the longer it's been since I've had a good night's sleep. I'm impatient, frustrated. I try to remind myself that this will pass.

I wrote myself a note that said, "Focus on what is, not what isn't." Then I taped it by my desk to remind me. I tend to be a glass half-empty kind of person, so I need the reminder to see the things that are happening and keep my eyes and heart there. There are a million things I can't get to and can't accomplish. Even simple things are often left undone.

But here's what I can do today: sip this hot tea, finish this letter, work for a bit; later, I'll take my kids to the pool for swimming lessons. I'll choose gratitude over grumpiness, and apologize when I slip up. I'll smile at people. I'll hold these little things close, and leave the big things for another day. After all, it's the little things that make up our lives.

xo,
L