Monday, January 16, 2017


Hello there, friend,

In some ways, I'm very glad to be in the middle of January. This month is all dormancy. Nothing grows. It's retreated into itself to get ready for spring. And I keep thinking about what that means for us, especially if we're inclined to grab for something new as the year changes. What is new? Everything is dormant.

I think about this as the days pass and I don't see the sun. I think about it as snow swirls by the window. I think about it as I try to embrace bitter cold and wind just to be outside in the fresh air. There's a time to reap and a time to sow, and equally a time to sit and be still. Winter feels like that to me -- a time for stillness and ease, a time to be gentle and prepare for spring.

I stood at the kitchen sink this morning, scraping away the burnt aftermath of some baked goods and thinking about how much we need seasons where the pressure is gone, where there's no goals because there's nothing to accomplish, where we can be happy just doing the dishes. We need down time in order to accomplish our goals. Another push and hustle won't help. I love that. I know I need down time. I know I need rest before what's next.

xo,
L