Tuesday, December 13, 2016


Hello there, friend,

Over the weekend, I began reading Madeleine L'Engle's A Circle of Quiet. In it, she describes "the tired thirties" during which many of us are raising young families and still gaining traction in our careers and vocations. I wrote that down -- the tired thirties -- with a big star next to it because, yes, I'm there.

I have been questioning a lot lately about how to balance family and work and friendships and exercise and my spiritual life. I don't know how to do it all. Sometimes that leaves me doubting myself and troubleshooting things that, maybe, don't need to be worked out. Maybe life is like this -- unbalanced, constantly shifting, sometimes high, sometimes low. I wish I was more accepting of that.

As we approach Christmas, I have felt a lot of my energy turn inward, not out. All the activity and bustle, the shopping and to-do lists, have had me feeling lethargic. What I want for Christmas is simple: connection, closeness, belonging, love. I want that more than any present, more than anything else on any list. And when you write about the anticipation of being together, I think: exactly.

xo,
L