Wednesday, October 19, 2016


Hello there, friend,

One of my favorite quotes is from Gustave Flaubert: "Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work." To me, this is the key to idea that outer order creates inner calm. So the spaces where things are nice and tidy, where I feel like I have it under control, give way to other spaces where I can say yes to what gives me life: creative work, spontaneous adventures, listening to that small voice inside that says rest or play or sit and be still with your child.

And I suppose, unpacking the quote further, that I consider the work of my life to be this: to be wildly loving, wildly creative, wildly in love with life. Yes, I have other work to do, too. But this stuff of living takes work. It takes attention and intention, both. Otherwise we're just floating along and -- heaven help me -- I don't want that. I don't want a boring, run-of-the-mill life. I want to grab life by the shoulders and rattle it for all it's worth, this one wild and precious life.

xo,
L